The Shoe Box Project 2015
The Shoe Box Project is an amazing charity that collects and distributes gifts in the form of shoeboxes to women in shelters. Each shoebox is filled with items valued at $50 that a woman would enjoy but would not splurge on for herself in difficult times. These shoeboxes brighten the holiday season and let the women know they are special and not forgotten.
Each box contains different female-friendly items such as beauty and personal hygiene products, specialty teas, mitts, socks, perfume, chocolate and gift cards.
Founded in 2011 by four sisters-in-law: Caroline Mulroney Lapham and Jessica, Vanessa and Katy Mulroney, the charity initiative now runs in many cities across Canada and the US, including Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and Halifax.
Last year, thanks to the generosity of countless people in December 2014, they delivered gifts to over 17,000 women using 270 shelters and outreach programs in 72 communities! They also collect and deliver hundreds of shoeboxes in honour of other occasions such as Mother’s Day and Nelson Mandela Day.
The following pictures were taken at a wrapping party, where donations and sponsorship from corporation are all gathered and ready to be boxed and wrapped up.
Tri Fit is an active sponsor for the event and many people of their team came out to the event. Together, they wrapped about 200 boxes and have them all ready to ship to the shelters. Great job ladies!
Dewey and I are so glad to have participated in such a meaningful project.
Giving can be as rewarding as receiving!
Here are few pictures of the event.
If you would like to be part of this wonderful project. Here’s how you can:
1. Get a shoebox and decorate it so that the lid opens. Volunteers must approval all contents before being distributed. Ready-made boxes can be found at dollar stores.
2. Write an inspirational note or poem. See list of possible gift ideas. Contents should add up to a value of $50.
3. Drop off the shoebox at any location following the link below across Canada.
• Something warm: mitts, scarf, hat, socks, specialty teas
• Something sweet: nut-free chocolate and candy (not alcohol filled)
• Body or hand lotion, soaps, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
• Brush, comb, shampoo, conditioner
• Nail polish, mascara, eye shadow, lipstick
• Purse-sized Kleenex, small cosmetic bag
• Gift Cards (Tim Hortons, Shoppers Drug Mart, etc.), phone card. Include receipt or write the amount.
• Bus tickets
• Supportive message, poem, card
To learn more about the Shoe Box Project or to donate, please follow this link: www.shoeboxproject.com
Kim and Dewey volunteered to attend one of our shoebox wrapping and filling events to document our work. Within 24 hours we had received an online album of pictures that portrayed so beautifully the collaboration of our volunteers and the mission of our charity to provide a gift for women living in shelters over the holiday season. Thank you Kim and Dewey for so generously sharing your time and talents with us!
– Veronica Marsden
The Shoe Box Project